(NC)—Time to table: 5 minutes prep, 5 minutes cooking
Makes: 8 servings
1/2 cup arils from 1 POM Wonderful Pomegranate
8 slices Italian or other sturdy type bread
8 thin slices smoked turkey (1 ounce each)
8 ounces brie cheese cut into 8 slices
16 fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil for toasting bread
1. Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate underwater to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
2. Heat a griddle or heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil; place four of the bread slices in skillet oil side down.
4. Brown until golden, about one to two minutes, over medium high heat.
5. Remove skillet from the heat and remove the bread slices from skillet. Place bread slices on a flat working surface and set aside.
6. Mix applesauce with 1/2 cup arils and divide onto the soft side of the bread just removed from skillet.
7. Place brie, basil and turkey on top of applesauce and cover with remaining bread slices, oil side up. Fasten with toothpicks if necessary.
8. Return skillet to the heat and add the sandwiches soft side down. Press second heavy pan on sandwiches to flatten them. Cook until bottom side is golden brown and cheese is soft.
9. Cut into halves and serve warm.
Nutrients Per Serving (1/2 sandwich): 225.55 calories (47% calories from fat, 24% calories from carbs), 16.11g protein, 13.28g carbohydrates, 11.72g total fat (5.81g saturated), 49.90mg cholesterol, 581.09mg sodium, 0.80g dietary fiber, 55.05mcg vitamin A RE, 2.45mg vitamin C.
Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination. - Albert Einstein