(NC)—A great way to incorporate more vegetables into a kid approved recipe. With 3 foods groups and a sweet tangy dressing, this meal is a healthier alternative to chicken fingers and fries.
12 frozen breaded chicken fingers
1/3 cup (75 mL) Heinz Tomato Ketchup
1/4 cup (50 mL) plain yogurt or sour cream
2 tbsp (30 mL) mayonnaise
1 tbsp (15 mL) Heinz Sweet Relish
10 cups (2.5 L) torn Romaine lettuce
1 cup (250 mL) each cubed Cheddar cheese and chopped tomato
3/4 cup (175 mL) corn kernels
1/4 cup (50 mL) each bacon bits and chopped
1. Prepare the chicken fingers according to package directions. Cool slightly; chop into bite-sized pieces.
2. Stir the ketchup with the yogurt, mayonnaise and relish until well combined.
3. Combine the lettuce with the Cheddar cheese, tomato, corn, bacon bits and green onion in a large bowl. Add the chicken pieces and salad dressing to taste; toss to combine. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
1. For an even healthier version, use crumbled turkey bacon instead of traditional bacon bits.
2. For added fibre and crunch, top the salad with whole-wheat croutons.
3. For a leftover solution, use any extra salad dressing as a sandwich spread or vegetable dip.
Per serving: 331 calories, 18g fat, 17g protein, 27g carbs, 2g fibre, 917mg sodium. Excellent source of vitamin A.