(NC)—To fuel up for a day filled with exercise and activity start out with a breakfast full of protein, healthy whole grains and fresh fruit. This delicious French toast recipe packs a double nutrition punch by combining a selection of cancer fighting foods like blueberries, whole grains, vitamin C rich citrus and walnuts.Blueberry Sauce
2 cups (500 mL) fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup (125 mL) honey
2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
Zest of half one fresh lemon
1. Place blueberries, honey and lemon juice into a medium saucepan. Gently mash half of the blueberries.
2. Heat over medium heat until the mixture starts to boil.
3. Reduce heat and gently boil for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in lemon zest. Pour into a heat proof jar, cover and store in the fridge or use right away. Can be stored for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Makes approx. 1 cup (250 mL) to serve 4 – 1/4 cup (60 mL) servingsFrench Toast
8 slices Country Harvest Stone Milled 100% Whole Wheat bread
4 omega-3 eggs
1/2 cup (125 mL) skim milk
1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cinnamon
4 tbsp (60 mL) chopped walnuts
1. In a shallow dish beat together eggs, skim milk and cinnamon.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
3. Turn on the oven to 200Fº (95Cº).
4. Soak the bread in the egg mixture, one slice at a time. Lightly spray the pan with canola oil. Cook each slice of bread over medium heat until toasted on both sides. Keep the cooked slices in the oven until all slices are cooked.
5. To assemble one serving: Place one slice of French toast on a plate, top with 2 tbsp. (30 mL) of the blueberry sauce. Place a second slice of French toast on top and top with 2 tbsp. (30 mL) of blueberry sauce. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped walnuts.
6. Continue assembling the other three servings. Serve.
Nutrient breakdown per serving:
539 Calories, 17.8 g Protein, 14 g Total Fat, 1.9 g Saturated Fat, 0 Trans Fat, 501 mg Sodium, 88 g Carbs, 8.5 g Fibre
More great recipes featuring whole grains can be found online at www.countryharvest.com.
- News Canada