(NC) The teething process is not the same for every baby. For one, cutting a tooth can happen overnight without pain or discomfort, while another child might have to endure a long, drawn out and painful experience. Unfortunately, teething troubles can lead to sleep deprivation and irritability for both babies and parents.
All parents can agree that it is tough to watch your little one suffer through this painful process, but there are things you can do to help. The first step is to find out if your baby is really teething or if the discomfort is a sign of another problem. Here are the signs to look for:Crankiness/fussiness
- Pain from teething can make your baby more irritable than usual. Cuddles, kisses and extra love will help calm them down.Restlessness/trouble sleeping
- Teething is a painful process that can keep your baby awake at night. Encourage them to stick to a bedtime routine and provide comfort when they are unsettled.Swollen gums
- Red gums are a surefire sign of teething. Try gently rubbing your clean finger over their gums for soothing results.Refusal to feed
- Sore or swollen gums can make the feeding process painful for your baby. If they have started eating solid foods, try giving them a cold apple puree or plain yogurt.Excessive drool
- While all babies drool a little bit, teething can often result in a very wet chin, making it sore. Try to dab it with a soft tissue as often as you can.What to do about it:
To make things easier once teething is confirmed, a homeopathic medicine like Camilia that is adapted for babies aged from one to 30 months and free of dyes, preservatives and sugar is a good option for a parent to try.
The pre-measured unit makes it convenient to carry in diaper bags seeing as they are ready to use when needed. It is an effective solution for soothing painful gums, restlessness, irritability and diarrhea due to teething.
Keep in mind, these homeopathic medicines may not be right for everyone, always read and follow the label.
More information on teething is available at www.boiron.ca/teething.